banner USF Home College of Arts & Sciences OASIS myUSF USF A-Z Index

USF Home > College of Arts and Sciences > Department of Mathematics & Statistics

Advising & Permits

Atiya Jackson

Atiya Jackson

The Undergraduate Advisor for Mathematics and Statistics is .

Please read the following Frequently Asked Questions prior to contacting Ms. Jackson.

What is Academic Advisement?

Academic Advising is the process in which you, the student, and the advisor discuss your academic goals, career ambitions, and personal academic strengths and weaknesses to set realistic goals and expectations in order to help you successfully accomplish your academic endeavors. It is important that you understand that the advisor-advisee connection is a shared relationship and both participants must uphold their end of the agreement in order to produce a successful outcome. This experience is an ongoing process that will develop and flourish with time. After all, this is YOUR academic experience! Your advisor is here to make educated suggestions and guide you towards the best possible options available to you. However, you are solely responsible for the final outcomes.

What do I do if I have a registration hold?

Make an appointment to see the Undergraduate Advisor. Here is a list of the most common Registration Holds.

How can I make an appointment with the Undergraduate Advisor?

Walk-in appointments are first-come, first-served and are no longer than 15 minutes. Walk-in appointments are for registration issues ONLY. Students with other concerns must make an appointment with Ms. Jackson using the e-Scheduler.

The walk-in appointment schedule can be found here:

Note: Students with AA or AP registration holds cannot be seen during walk-in hours, an appointment must be made.

How can I declare either a Mathematics or Statistics major?

Students who are interested in pursuing a major in either Mathematics or Statistics can declare the major on-line at Major Declaration.

How can I access my unofficial transcript?

Students are encouraged to regularly check DegreeWorks to ensure that satisfactory progress is being made toward earning a degree. To access DegreeWorks, log on to Canvas and click the tab labelled Academics. The Academics page should have a link to DegreeWorks.

How can I calculate my GPA?

Use the GPA calculator that is found in DegreeWorks. (See previous question.)

How can I get a permit to register for a math or statistics course?

In general, the only type of permit that is issued for math/statistics courses is a prerequisite permit. In particular, closed section permits are not issued for math/stat courses. Also, the Math/Stat department does not keep wait lists for courses. Students can only enroll in a closed section by monitoring OASIS and adding a seat when another student drops.

A prerequisite permit is not necessary if the student has taken, or is taking, the prerequisite course at USF. For example, if you are taking MAC 1147, you will be able to register for MAC 2311 without a permit. However, if you took the prerequisite course at another school, you will have to provide evidence of successful completion of the course before a permit will be issued for the next course. A digital copy of an unofficial transcript at the other school will typically suffice as evidence. Note that, if you are currently taking a prerequisite course at another school, then you will need to complete the course and have your grade in-hand before a prerequisite permit will be issued.

To request a prerequisite permit, please submit the online Permit Request form.

Note: In general, a prerequisite permit will not be issued for a course if the prerequisite course was taken more than three years ago. In such cases, the student will need to provide evidence of current competency in the prerequisite course material.

Can I be issued a prerequisite permit without taking the prerequisite course?

In general, no, but for some courses students can meet the prerequisite requirement by earning course credit via examination or by taking a placement test.

Further information about credit-by-examination can be found at USF's CLEP website.

Further information about placement testing can be found at USF's College Placement Test (CPT) website.

Note: If you have taken either a CLEP test or the CPT exam and have obtained the score needed for a certain course, then the score should appear on your record and OASIS will allow you to register for courses requiring this course as a prerequisite. Alternatively, you can e-mail a scanned copy of the score sheet to . In the e-mail, specify what course you are trying to register for.

How can I get a math or statistics course taken at another institution equated to a USF math/stat course?

The State of Florida follows a common course numbering system, so courses with the same number taken at any public Florida 2- or 4-year school are automatically deemed equivalent. For example, MAC 2311 taken at Florida State is automatically equivalent to MAC 2311 at USF.

For courses taken outside the State of Florida, or at private in-state schools, please do the following:

Step 1: Create an e-mail to .

In the subject line of the email, type Math Course Evaluation.

In the body of the e-mail include all of the following information:

  • Your name
  • Your USF Student U#
  • Name and state of each out-of-state or private school
  • For each school, include a link to that school's online catalog information[*]
  • For each school, include a list of course names/numbers of the math/stat course(s) that you wish to have evaluated

[*]The provided link should list all of the math and/or statistics courses taught at the transfer institution, not just the course(s) you took. If the link you provided is to the schools's undergraduate catalog, then specify the page numbers where the necessary information can be found. For example, information about math courses taught at USF can be found starting on page 250 of the Undergraduate Catalog.

Step 2: Locate a copy of the syllabus for your transfer math/stat course(s). If you do not still have a copy, you can contact your previous school and request one.

Note: Many international institutions do not have the equivalent of a course syllabus. International students without a course syllabus must attach the equivalent of a course syllabus, including: institutional requirements for credit/course, textbook utilized, list of topics covered, amount of time spent on each topic, etc.

Step 3: Scan your syllabus into a PDF file and attach it to the e-mail created in Step 1. Name the PDF file the same as the name of the course. For example, if you took MAC 1105 College Algebra, please name the file “MAC 1105 College Algebra”. Please scan all pages of the syllabus into one file. If you have more than one math/stat course for review, please scan each syllabus as a separate file. If you have more than one syllabus, you may submit all syllabi in the same e-mail.

Step 4: Send the e-mail.

The process of course evaluation can take up to two weeks, and sometimes longer. Please be patient when waiting for a reply to your e-mail. However, if you have not received a response after four weeks, please send a follow up e-mail to Atiya Jackson. If your transfer course is approved, the college will receive a copy of the approval and will update your record to reflect the results. This can take up to two weeks (after the evaluation has been completed) to appear in your DegreeWorks report.